Monday, September 22, 2008

TRUE COLORS

Last weekend I went to a great class that my Relief Society had. A friend of mine, sister teaches about how you can have a closer family and be more charitable by understanding each other. She calls it, "Family Color Works" basically the concept isn't new. We've all heard at one point in time "What color are you?" It's a little different then times past. She says that by knowing what a persons color is (or personality) as well as whether they are an introvert or extrovert, you can be more understanding and charitable (not get so impatient with them, instead you can say "Oh I understand why you are acting this way) She taught a section on how to determine what color you are and then how to determine what color your kids are, so you can try to be a better parent,spouse,friend, etc. I found it really interesting. She also taught how to deal with the "stressors" that come with each color type. For example, I found Jared was an Orange. One thing that will stress a person who is orange out is a time limit. They like their freedom and if you give them a time limit, it doesn't go so well. Jackson likes to call out time limits especially when getting ready for bed and Jared always melts into tears. Poor guy. So now we know we need (and when I say we I mean Jackson) to handle it a different way. Go to www.familycolorworks.com to determine what you are. (if you are an introvert be aware that your first color is usually the color you hide, the second color is the one you exhibit.) On this website it is for determining 10 and up. For kids she has a little bit different method, but you can still figure it out from this info. I found I have a very colorful family:
I am a blue/gold extrovert
I'm still working on Jackson I think he is a green/orange
Isaac is a blue/orange extrovert
Bennett is a gold (boy is he a gold!) green/ introvert
Jared is an orange/blue extrovert

One thing she did advise us is to be very careful about determining someone elses color. Just because someone shows traits doesn't mean there motives match the color.
Happy color hunting!


4 comments:

skbkmjfamily said...

Hey, I have a great thing my parenting teacher gave us on the color code and children. There is actually a book about it. If you want it let me know and I will email it to you. We learned this a long time ago.

I am a blue,
Shad is Blue
Brynn is blue/red
Kameron is yellow
Maryn is blue/white
I haven't done Jace. It really does help with teaching your kids and disciplining. We can't treat them all the same. It is a great thing to learn

skbkmjfamily said...

hey who is this friend, I just realized that the lady who teaches the parenting class has a son that lives over there

Tiffany said...

Libby, your blog is so fun!
Your boys are so handsome and BIG.
I love to see your family. It makes me miss you and also remember what great times we had.
Thanks!
Tiffany
Tell your sisters Hello!

Libby said...

katie-
she acutally lives in Nebraska. This one is a little different then your colors. I like it because she brings in the whole introvert/extrovert thing which puts a spin on what color you are plus uses 4 colors instead of the five. GOLD(red) Blue (blue) Green (i think is white) orange (yellow)