Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Invitation

On Thursday mornings I have been going to Jared's class to help his teacher with odds and ends. I did this for Bennett's teacher last year, so I told Jared this would be his year. After I was finished last week, the kid's had left to go to lunch, I went by the luchroom to say goodbye. I told him to have a good day and started to leave. He then piped up, "Mom you know you can have lunch with me." his neighbor affirmed this, "Yeah you can, and it doesn't cost much." Jared then asked me to have lunch with him. I felt bad but had other things on my agenda for that day, so asked if I could join him the next week. So today when I came he asked if I was going to have lunch. I told him yes, and his bright blue eyes lit up and smiled that smile of his. As he trumped off to lunch, having been chosen the leader of the line that day, I called to him to save me a seat as I finished what I was doing. I came in and noticed him shewing the other kids away from "my seat." The menu consisted of lasagna, salad, roll, and for dessert curious george fruit snacks. (Ah the memories) The conversation consisted of what would be played at recess, and what items on the tray they didn't deem as edible. (I had brought my camera, but when I turned it on, I got the dreaded, change battery pack.) Tonight we went to pack meeting. Bennett was getting his Wolf badge, it was hard not to compare the things I would do for Pack meeting when I was Committee Chair and the things they did now. I haven't been able to go to Pack meetings because of my commute to Salt Lake. My beloved Book Club was meeting tonight in Salt Lake (we've been going for 5 years) but knew how important to Ben it was that I be there. After Pack Meeting I was invited to Bunco, so I was still able to get some girl time in anyways.




2 comments:

wandering nana said...

Great job Bennett. Dad had his first pack meeting last night. He said it was good. Glad you got to have lunch with J

Becky said...

Hey Lib I guess you can miss book club for such a great cause. Just don't let it happen again:) J/K We love you and miss you but I guess family is important