Saturday, October 25, 2008

Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures...
So as I mentioned before, when I was released from my calling in Young Women's I got a little nervous at what would keep me busy. PTO (same as PTA) sign ups were happening at that time so I figured it would be a good opportunity for me to get involved with the kids schools. I guess I went a little overboard (as usual), I signed up to be Jared's room mother, Isaac's school Value Representative (more work then I planned) and to help with the school Halloween Carnival. So last night was the school carnival. I planned to help with the Spook Alley and after agreeing to be room mom, found out I had to set up a game in Jared's teachers room. I figured with Jackson's help it would be o.k. Only to find out Isaac's scout leaders had chosen the same night to have their campout and Jackson had to go. So I had 3 hours to decorate two rooms and get the kids and myself dressed up in our costumes. Again a little overboard! So let me just say I did bring my camera to take pictures but of course found no time to actually take some. The teacher room turned out good. I did monster operation, where I took a Scarecrow made out of garbage sacks (refer to last years pictures) laid it out on the table, then put canisters underneath and cut holes in the sacks so kids could stick their hands through and feel the various things. I did latex gloves filled with jello for the hands, wet spaghetti for the intestines, a tomato with the skin off for the heart, aqua gems for the brains and frozen green olives for the toes. I guess it was a pretty big hit. They had college students running the games. I was busy at the spook alley taking tickets and trying to explain to parents that if they didn't want the monsters to jump out they could take a "good fairy" with them. Which was a good idea, there were so many people I found myself having to shout and doing crowd control. My poor boys had to go off on their own to play the games, but what do you do? So by the end of the night I was completely exhausted, which led me to do something I couldn't help but do. I've been off of "the juice" (diet coke) for two months now which has been really good for me, but I couldn't help taking the kids to the good old Burger King and picking up a big Diet Coke and kids meals for them. Oh well, like I say "Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures." By the way Ben was Indiana Jones and Jared was Anikin Skywalker (we still use the costume mom) and I went as a pirate princess with my mickey mouse hat. I'll post pictures next Tuesday we have a Primary halloween party.

2 comments:

wandering nana said...

Sounds like it was wonderful. You always do such a great job.

fivewalkers said...

Diet Coke is my weakness too!! You totally deserved one after all of that. Sounds like it went well. Such cute ideas.