Sunday, March 1, 2009


Normal?

So the last few days we have been trying to get our schedules back to normal. Silly me, I thought jetlag was for the weak and faint of heart. Oh contrare! I put on a brave battle the first day, and then put up my little white flag the second. Deciding that laying around on the couch taking little naps wasn't so bad. It's amazing how a little thing like time can throw your body off. Poor Jared is still waking up at 1:00 a.m. crying that he can't sleep. Even better we have daylight savings next week. As I drove home from work the other night, I found myself thinking about our experiences in Israel and realized it was Fast Sunday this week. Usually I'll bear my testimony when the spirit gives me a nudge, but this night I decided ahead of time that it was something I wanted to do. This morning I had butterflys in my stomach, like I was getting ready to give a talk. I didn't want people to think that I was giving a travelmony (you know the kind where they go off about their trip) I just wanted to express the feelings I had while being in Israel. So just after the second counselor finishes and turns the time over to us, I think about getting up but decide to wait a minute. One of the older sisters in our ward proceeds to go up and begins to tell us about her trip to Mexico and how the Book of Mormon is true. I wouldn't chalk it up to necessarily being a travelmony, but suddenly I found myself rethinking what I wanted to say. After all did it really matter where I had been? I could still say the things I wanted to say without having to say where I had been. After she was done, I found myself making my way to the podium, some people knew about our trip, so I could almost hear them saying, oh now we get to hear Libby talk about her trip. But I kept it simple, because after all isn't that really what it all is, simple. We all have our opportunity, either we believe or we don't, we can complicate it quite a bit ourselves, or allow the spirit to teach, line upon line, precept upon precept. I gave each of the primary children their shell, their eyes lit up along with mine as I watched them look at their little treasures, one of them ran up and gave me hug, I love my calling! I attached this note: This seashell is very special, a gift to you from me, I picked it up off the shores of the Sea of Galilee. Where Jesus walked on water, and calmed the stormy sea. Where he said,"I will make you fishers of men" and healed those who would believe. Each time you look upon this shell I hope you will remember, to do the things you have been taught so you can live with Him forever.

It is our Bishops birthday tomorrow, so we made little hearts and had the kids go down to his door and "heart attack" it. It was fun to watch them giggle, hoping not to get caught. Wish me luck on sleeping tonight, I hope to be talking in complete sentences again by the end of the week.

3 comments:

skbkmjfamily said...

Our bishop recently read to us a letter that was sent out several years ago about what a testimony is. It stated that it is short, it is to bear testimony of the gospel, Jesus Christ. We don't need to share why we believe, just share what we believe.

As I have read your blog I have found that I will probably never physically see those sights. What a great treat you were able to go. As you wrote though,I realized that your testimony was coming through in different things. It was not different than the testimony you had before you left, just a greater understanding what it looked like.

As I read I realized that we don't have to walk physically where he walked, we do it every day when we serve, we pray, we read the scriptures, we live joyfully. We are walking where Christ as walked, what a wonderful thing you are teaching your primary kids. There is nothing short about a testimony born of the Savior, his life, and the knowledge we have of the restored gospel.

thanks for sharing your blog and your expierences. I hope you guys get some sleep

wandering nana said...

I can see you smiling as you handed them the shell.I'm so glad you got to go. There is something that brings the past closer when you are where things happen. In Egypt I kept thinking of Moses and the Israelites and touching things that existed when they were there. There is something amazing when you know you are where they lived and there is a special spirit that dwells there. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I think that you are right about a testimony being simple, I think that is why I feel the spirit most when a child bears their testimony. So simple and true. What a wonderful treasure to give to your primary kids. You Rock!