Wednesday, January 23, 2008


Temple, Temple, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

My sister's and I would sing this chant whenever we would drive by the Salt Lake Temple. I remember wondering what it would be like to go inside. This past week we were able to go to the open house for the Rexburg Temple. The weeks preceding our visit we spent our Family Home Evenings dicussing what the boys would be seeing and the purpose of the temple. We also discussed the dedication, and explained only those who had been baptized could go. Poor Jared was so sad that he couldn't go but we explained to him the reasons and that when he turned 8 there would be another temple he could go to the dedication for.(Oquirrh Hills) As the days came closer Isaac and Bennett were getting excited but Jared kept saying, "no, I don't get to go." Now as most of you know Jared is a big teaser, so I know a lot of this was teasing, but I was still concerned he thought he didn't get to come to the temple. Finally on the night we were to go Jackson told him we would take him blindfolded if we had too. Later on as we started up the walkway towards the temple I smiled down and said, "See they let you in." He just smiled that smile of his back. What a wonderful experience, I tried to point out the colors and different pictures so they could remember some of the things they saw. It was nice to tell them that this was where dad and mom would be when we went to the temple. The best part was in the celestial room, it was amazing to have all of us there together, we stood in a group and hugged each other. Later I contemplated the experience with Jared. What a great responsibility we have as parents to teach our children that Heavenly Father does want them to be with him and that by making right choices we can. I haven't been to a temple dedication since the Jordan River temple so am very excited to go with the boys and Jackson. How lucky we are to be able to be apart of this.

2 comments:

skbkmjfamily said...

What a great expierence. We can't wait to go to the Twin Falls. I heard lately a great lesson that talks about that we should prepare our children to attend the temple when they are twelve. We always talk to them about when they get married, or when they go on missions, but we should be teaching them to be worthy when they are 12. I thought that was a great idea.

On the classes, if you go into the member board she has them there. Or else I can email you the 2nd one.

wandering nana said...

I love to go with the youth to be baptized for the dead. We get a good number. I'm excited you get to go to the dedication. I remember when Aunt Jane and family got to go when they built the Washington DC temple. They had not been to one except when they came to Salt Lake to visit. I even wrote a letter to the kids telling them how excited I was. Have the kids write down their feelings and put it in their Book of Mormons. Thanks for sharing the wonderful experience.