Friday, November 9, 2007

Full Moon.....
In my line of work (and maybe yours) we have a couple of days a month that we ask the question
"Is it a full moon?" (and usually it really is) This is because it seems that more likely then not, some of the people I'm helping are just not happy with life and feel they need to demonstrate this in being unkind, obnoxious or just plain rude (when they have no reason to be). So what do I do in return? My smile just gets bigger, I guess I'm naive because I think "maybe if I be as nice as I can possibly be they won't throw a temper tantrum that even a two year old would have a hard time beating." But silly me this seems to aggravate more then help. For instance, today I had a person come up wanting me to take his bag. I had no problem with this, but unfortunantly the way the system works is that you have to tell the computer you have a bag and then come back to see me. You would have thought the world was ending, I literally thought he was going to go down on the floor kicking and screaming. And then I actually had the audacity to ask him for his liscense. He looked at me incredulously, and began ranting under his breath, ( I heard the words" pester" and "what a system") in there. Now don't get me wrong I know the airport can be a stressful place and things do happen where people have the right to complain, but today was one of those days where the "grumpy meter" was ready to burst.The funny thing was that it wasn't just me, right and left my co-workers kept asking "Is it a full moon?" What do you think, have you had problems with "Full Moon days?" or is it just me?

2 comments:

The Gist Family said...

Hey Lib,
It has definitely been a "full moon" kind of week for us, too. Who knew? I have spent my week comforting and consoling and coddling brides, bridesmaids, choir girls, and all of their mothers. Is it really a full moon right now? Or do you think maybe they've all had too much candy over the last week or so since Halloween? What a world, what a world! But I am sure next week will be better, right :)

wandering nana said...

When you work with the public it seems like the full moon must be hanging over head sometimes..but I think a lot of it has to do with the time of year we are going into. I start to have some sympathy for them as I don't know what must be going on in their life that they have to take it out on those around them. I must admit I now try very hard to be as nice as possible with those people who may help me no matter how frustrated I may get. I had gotten to the point that I never want to work in a job that may be working with the public but I was to a point. I like that you smile no matter what..Just keep telling yourself that they must be having a miserable time and need to vent.(no excuse ) but at least their loved ones won't have to pay the price.