Thursday, February 19, 2009





Sea of Galilee

This is going to be a tough post because we did a lot today. So I'll try my best. We had two ways we could go West Bank Highway 90 or Highway 6, yes I know gasp! at going to the West Bank but let me alay fears, first the people we are staying with work for the embassy and the embassy allows them to go (but not to Bethlehem) second you have to take it anyway to get to Dead Sea/Masada (going in a couple of days) 90 is a lot quicker and closer to our route so 90 it was. The landscape is very desert like, nothing growing. There were oasis here and there, we drove past Jericho and sang the song, battle of Jericho, at points we were right up against the Jordan border. We also went by Gilgal where the children of Israel stopped after the parting of the Jordan river (yes I mean Jordan river not Red Sea look it up, that happened too) It was nice to get back into Israeli territory again where we had to show passports again to enter. The one nice thing about it being rainy season is that everything is very green and flowers are blooming, red poppies, yellow flowers, purple, really pretty, we saw a shepherd herding their sheep and stopped at McDonald's and ate.(I know, but we needed fast and easy) We then continued onto to Yardenit where the Jordan meets the Sea of Galilee, this is where it is believed Jesus was baptized. So beautiful, we went down to the water and sang When Jesus Christ was baptized and I like to look for rainbows. We then continued along the lake to Tiberius the biggest city on the sea, it's a little resort down. We then continued on to Tabgha where a church is located that gives homeage to the feeding of the five thousand there is also a church close by where it is said Jesus appeared to the disciples after He was resurrected. They were fishing in a boat close by but not catching anything, a man told them to cast their nets to the other side of the boat, they did so and caught so many fish they couldn't pull it up, they then realized it was Jesus. Jesus then ate supper with them, in the church there is a rock that they believe they ate at. This was my favorite part of the day because both Jackson and I could feel the Holy Ghost while sitting there testifying to us that this really happened. We didn't want to leave but time was ticking so next we went to the Mount of the Beatitudes where Jesus taught the Sermon on the Mount (Assigned reading Matthew 6?) Here there is another beautiful church kept up by the Catholic Church. We brought our scriptures and took turns reading the Sermon on the Mount. A cute nun walked by and smiled at us and told us we were doing good, "teach your children" she said. Close by there is a small valley with rocks all over you could invision the savior teaching very easily at that spot. The Church has a beautiful view of the Sea. Next we went to Capernaum. This is where Peter, John and Andrew lived and where the Savior said "I will make you fishers of men" In Jesus the Christ Elder Talmage states that the whereabouts of Capernaum are not really known, but here there is a synagogue that dates back to 3rd century and they believe that it was built upon remains of another one. In any case the ruins give a good idea of what the synagoques would look like, they say the remains of Peters house are close by. The sun was just setting here and was really beautiful. We had a great day, talking to the kids about Jesus and the miracles he performed. We then headed to a place to stay on the Sea called En Giev, this is where the BYU students stay for 2 weeks when they come, I don't blame them it's a beautiful place! I have to relate a story from yesterday that I forgot to tell, when we were at the Tomb Jared came over and asked me where Jesus was buried, I told him we just saw it, he said "no, now in our day where is He buried," I stopped and said remember we just talked about how He was resurrected, Jesus isn't buried anymore He is alive, Jared got frustrated with me, "I know but where is he buried?" Finally I said, "Jared if Jesus is alive, why would He need to be buried>" Suddenly recognition came to his face and he looked at me and said, "Oh so he is living in Heaven right now." It was interesting to see him go through the process of realizing that the Savior was resurrected, it's actually something I'm working on with the Primary kids right now, helping them to get to know the Savior. Anywasy I know this is a quick explanation, but my battery is running low and I only have so many internet minutes, if I could I would spend 2 weeks up here myself, just beautiful! By the time we got in it was time for dinner, we could go spend a lot of money on food the kids wouldn't eat or just go to the minimart and see what we could find, so at the mini mart we picked up pita bread, peanut butter, pringles, hummus and a couple of apples, I know we should be eating all the different foods but where we can save money on making our own and put more towards souvenirs I'd rather have the souvenirs. We do try and eat out at lunch though and do make the kids try the foods. Isaac has found he loves hummus.


We took tons of pictures today but it takes forever to load my pictures because they are so big so I'll try and add more when I get back.


tommorrow Nazareth and back to Jerusalem








Rock where Jesus had supper with disciples where He bestowed the priesthood upon Peter.






Church of 2 fishes and 7 loaves, look at the floor the tiles depict a basket in the middle and a fish on each side, very famous. They believe the table was used during the handing out of food.




Jordan River, so peaceful and beautiful

Capernaum snynagouqe

Mount of the Beatitudes Church

6 comments:

wandering nana said...

It is really something to read your thoughts and feelings. By the way, I will pay for the shirt (don't want that as my souvenir... "} Hope it is okay to share your post.

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for your posting. I've learned more from reading your post than all my years in seminary. :) Keep it up!
Stay safe! Love the pictures too!

Kendy said...

En Geiv. That was the name of where we stayed. Loved it! Perfect spot to stay. Glad you did that! I'm jealous.

Unknown said...

Oh, what amazing experiences! I am loving reading about your adventures and feeling the spirit as you share! THANK YOU for "posting" your testimony! We love you guys!

~Heather

TX Girl said...

McDonalds, seriously?

You have to view the food as part of your souvenirs and the overall experience of the trip. Because really, do you think the peanut butter is safe?

Can't wait to see more pictures.

Libby said...

I'm glad you are all enjoying the posts, I know I'm leaving things out and there are tons more pictures i would like to show.Every where we go we are looked at in amazement by both tourists and locals. There really aren't that many tourist families. I even had a girl take a picture of us at the kibbutz. We are really being looked after there have been many times i have said thank you to Heavenly Father for helping us get to where we need to go.If we needed a place to park, or bathroom or to eat everything has worked out and quickly. I know His hand has been in everything we are seeing and doing.